If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These rolls have appeared at almost every special occasion meal for years.The two potatoes used are sweet potato and potato flour. They are soft comforting pillows with a gentle golden hue imparted by the sweet potatoes.I use the bucket of my bread machine to make the dough, but it can also be made by hand or in a mixer. If there are any rolls leftover they are great toasted with a dab of homemade preserves for breakfast. Canned pumpkin or squash are suitable substitutes for the sweet potatoes. - sticksnscones - sticksnscones
Food52 Review: Sticksnscones' rolls are rich, pillow soft, and slightly sweet. In my mind they are perfect dinner rolls. They smell heavenly baking, and look gorgeous with their shiny, light brown top crust. The sweet potato gives them a beautiful golden hue, and the milk powder and potato flour help create a light texture and rich flavor. Don't be surprised if your dinner guests reach for more than one of these gems! They are delicious with just a pat of butter and they also made a great "bun" for a left-over pork-tenderloin sandwich. - hardlikearmour
- 3 cups unbleached flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 4 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup potato flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- sesame seeds
- Place all of the ingredients,other than one egg in the bucket of your bread machine. Select the bread dough setting and press start. Check the dough while it is mixing to see if it looks smooth. You may need to add either more flour or water to achieve the correct consistency. Let the machine go through the entire cycle.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 15 small balls and place in a buttered 9 X 13 inch pan. There should be a little room between each for rising. They will end up baking together nicely.
- Allow rolls to rise, covered for about 1 hour. The rolls can also be made up to this point and dough refrigerated overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375. If dough has been refrigerated, let stand at room temperature for an hour before baking.
- Make the egg wash, combining the beaten egg with 1 teaspoon of water. Brush over each roll and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Turn out onto a cooling rack and try not to eat them all!
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for The Recipe You Want To Be Remembered For
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner Rolls