If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Stalled by a cool summer, the fruit on our Meyer lemon tree has been slow to ripen this year. When I picked my first handful yesterday, I knew they had to play a leading role in my hot drink. I added my version of a ginger syrup I found on the Food Network site. Eager to sample the drink, I decided not to wait for the syrup to chill. Not a fan of bourbon or dark rum, I used my favorite scotch, Famous Grouse. A jigger measure of one and a half shots is equivalent to 1 1/2 ounces. This hit the spot just now after a chilly walk on the beach. - Lizthechef —Lizthechef
Food52 Review: This scrumptious little nectar could easily be called California Hot Toddy or Dangerous Hot Toddy. The former because of its Meyer lemon influence, the latter because it goes down so easily. The lemon-ginger syrup is divine. So good in fact, I reduced the honey a tiny bit, opting for more sweetness from the syrup to get that extra bit of flavor. —lorinarlock
- 2 Meyer lemons
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh ginger root, unpeeled
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup water
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the lemon peel, being careful not to include the pith. Reserve peeled lemons. In a food processor, finely chop the lemon peel and ginger.
- Using a medium-sized saucepan, add the lemon-ginger mixture, sugar and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Strain syrup and cool. You will have a cup of syrup.
- 1 cup scotch whiskey, preferably Famous Grouse
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 1/2 ounces ginger syrup
- 1 1/2 ounces Meyer lemon juice
- Using a medium-sized saucepan, gently warm the scotch, honey, ginger syrup and lemon. Serve warm in glass mugs.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Restorative Recipes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy
Tomatoes! Peaches! Strawberries!
Our favorite #F52farmstands.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.