Author Notes: I am a big fan of margaritas and this drink reminds me of a warm, winter-spiced margarita. - VanessaS - VanessaS
Food52 Review: Great name, great drink! VanessaS has a brilliant idea to boil up honey, orange, cinnamon, a hint of clove, and water with an ancho chili pepper! Combined with silver Patron tequila, this makes a great hot toddy. The directions and ingredients are perfect. The recipe, which yields two small drinks that are refreshingly warming, is even better than a margarita in my opinion! Throughout the evening I made even more to sip without the tequila. The pepper gives such a great kick all by itself, you really can enjoy a virgin version, too. If you are a fan of citrus, this hot toddy is for you. I highly recommend it as an EP! Thanks, VanessaS for coming up with this recipe. - Sagegreen
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 cloves
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 1/2 of an orange, zested
- 1/2 of an actual orange, cut in half (so you have two quarters of an orange)
- 1 inch piece snipped off of a dried ancho pepper
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons Patron Silver Tequila
- Combine honey, cloves, cinnamon stick, orange zest, pepper and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, and simmer five minutes. Turn off heat and let stand for five minutes.
- Set out two glasses. Add two tablespoons tequila to each glass and squeeze one orange piece into each glass.
- Strain water mixture through a sieve and divide warm mixture between glasses. Garnish with an orange slice, if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy