If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I grew up on a street where there were many little girls my age to play with. Every Christmas, the parents of my friend, Susan, had a large Christmas party. I can remember being in my Florence Eiseman Christmas dress, under her mother's grand dinning room table with my friends. We were all very into Harriet The Spy at the time. Through a little trial and error, we discovered that the spot underneath the punch bowl filled with boozy eggnog was the best place to overhear entertaining conversations.
This recipe for warm, boozy homemade egg nog will wet your whistle and keep you warm. You cannot beat the combination of fresh eggs, whole milk, sugar, nutmeg, and cognac. The flavor of the cognac will shine through, so use the best. Cheers. - Waverly
Food52 Review: Lighter, frothier, and more refined than your classic one-cup-and-you're-out eggnog, this playful variation will keep the party going strong. The cognac shines through in every sip, so be sure to crack open the good stuff. And don't skimp on the nutmeg, either: if yours has been kicking around in the back of your spice cabinet for longer than you can remember, here's the perfect excuse to invest in a new bottle. - Kukharka
- 8 large eggs, yolks and whites separated and reserved
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 4 cups, whole milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup French cognac
- 1 fresh whole nutmeg, grated
- BEAT: In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks on HIGH speed until thick and creamy. Add sugar and beat on HIGH again until very light, about 3-5 minutes. Add salt and beat to combine. Set aside. In another large bowl, beat the egg whites to stiff peaks. Set aside.
- HEAT AND COMBINE: In a saucepan, heat the milk, cream, and vanilla over MEDIUM heat. Do not boil. When small bubbles begin to appear, whisk the hot milk into the yolk mixture. Add the beaten whites and the cognac and stir until everything is incorporated.
- SERVE: Fill a punch bowl and let everyone serve themselves, or pour egg nog into serving cups and sprinkle a generous amount of freshly grated nutmeg on top. Drink hot.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Punch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A & M's Annual Smackdown / Your Best Hot Toddy
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.