Author Notes: I learned how to make this recipe from my daughter who was living in Greece. - lynn_petitta_cornejo
- 1 pound small sized lentils
- 1 Red onion
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 cup Extra Virgen Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 2 tablespoons Oregano
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 handful chopped carrot
- 2 Stalks Celery
- Italian, Spanish or Greek Sausage (optional)
- Put some of the olive oil in a pan on medium heat and add the chopped red onion, carrot and celery. Saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until paste starts to melt a bit.
- Add the olive oil and stir.
- Add the lentils and cover with water (I use bottled water).
- Add the bay leaves, garlic cloves, oregano and salt and pepper.
- Boil rapidly and then add the vinegar and oregano. Sausage can be added at this point if you want it. Cook until lentils are tender and soup has thickened.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils