If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: to most turks, lentil soup is what chicken soup is to americans. it is the go to comfort/winter soup and in some more rural areas, it is commonly cooked for breakfast. my version has evolved over the years, bending to preferences and seasons. celery roots, turnips, spinach leaves are all very suitable add-ons. —emine
- 2 tablespoons oilve oil
- 1 big onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 zuchetti, grated
- 1 small potatoe, grated
- 1,5 cups red lentils (if posible halved)
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- heat olive oil in big soup pan
- add onion and garlic, cook stirring for 2-3 minutes
- add vegetables and lentils, stir for 5 minutes
- add chicken (or vegetable) stock, water, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper
- simmer until lentils are soft, appr. 45 minutes (actually, the lentils will desintegrate and become mushy at this point). taste, then add salt and pepper to taste, also some red pepper flakes (can be chilli peppers) might be added at this point.
- turn off heat. let soup rest with lid on for 10-20 minutes. remove bay leaves. serve with crusty bread and red wine for a homely dinner...
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
In Queso Were Wondering
Cashews are the mvp of vegan ingredients
This queso is nuts.
Keep your bubbly bubbly.
Meet 2015's best sellers.
Our guide to the Eastern Shore.
Get your shine on.