Author Notes: This is a very simple but very good that my mother makes.
Dhal can be cooked with different seasoning to make a dish by same name in India. Dhal should washed first in plenty of water to remove the dust and debris. In this recipe I used Toor dhal flat and golden and pleasant flavor do not use the oiled verities .
Have with steamed basmati rice
- Lentil (Toor dhal/ red gram) ½ cup
- Ginger 1 small piece
- Green Chili 1
- Water 1 cup
- (Cook all above in water)
- Shallotte 5
- Garlic 5 flake
- (Crushed above)
- Chili Flake ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder ¼ tsp
- Curry Leaf 1 sprig(Optional)
- Cilantro few
- Oil 1 tsp
- Heat one tsp of oil in a heavy pan add the crushed ingredients cook till caramel colour reduce flame add turmeric ,chili flake and curry leaf(optional)
- Add the cooked lentils mixture and add salt to taste.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro
- Serve hot.
- ( A knob of butter or a tsp of ghee added to the prepared dhal curry give a rich flavor)I've found a place online which is sending coconut oil, mustard seeds and even fresh curry leaves in USA http://www.thokalath.com/india_grocery_store.php
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
Tags: serves a crowd