If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Dal makhani is a treasured staple food, originally from Punjab in North India. This dish is a type of daal(boiled lentils or other dried legume/pulse) eaten in India (in the states of Punjab, Haryana, Delhi, Uttar Pradesh and the Bhojpuri area of Bihar) and Pakistan. Its high in protein--an important attribute in primarily vegetarian cultures. —IndianSimmer
- 2 cups Urad beans
- 3/4 cup red kidney beans
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3-4 cloves chopped garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 8-10 no. peppercorns
- 4-5 no. cloves
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoons shaken buttermilk
- Soak the red kidney beans in water overnight or else atleast for 6-8 hours. (you can even use canned beans)
- Wash the lentils thoroughly and put it in a pressure cooker. Add water to it about an inch above the level of lentils or maybe around 6 cups. Add turmeric, salt, peppercorn and cloves into it. Turn heat on and boil it on medium heat until they are well cooked.
- In a thick bottom pan heat oil. Throw in bay leaves and then chopped onion. Saute onions until its translucent then make a paste of ginger garlic and add it to the onions. Fry it until everything looks golden in color and then add chopped tomato, cayenne pepper and coriander powder into it. Fry until tomato is almost dissolved and then add curry powder and after a minute add heavy cream to it.
- When lid of the pressure cooker is ready to be opened add buttermilk into it. Stir well so that lentils are completely mixed into each other and then add the onion masala that has been prepared.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves and if you want to take it up a notch just add a dollop of butter into it.
- Serve hot with tandoori roti or plain basmati rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils
We're obsessed with savory yogurt
Savory yogurt is whey cool.
A toast to toast.
Shop our new office.
DIY Nutter Butters.
We give it 8 tentacles up.