Author Notes: I was always skeptical about cooking lentils, especially when it takes hours for it to be cooked through- a territory that I wasn't yet comfortable. Though after seeing my Indian cooking teacher demonstrate this awesome, easy-to-make dish out of thin air, I was well determined to make this at home. It turned out to be simple and just scrumptious. Ghee is an essential ingredient in this recipe; it brings out the nutty flavor of the lentils. - FrancesRenHuang
- 1/2 cup pink lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 pinch dried chili powder
- generous splashes of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 pinch hing (optional)
- 1 garlic, minced
- 2~4 green chiles, minced
- 1 gerenous handful of cilantro, chopped roughly
- splashes of lime juice
- Cook lentils with water, turmeric, dried chili pepper and oil for 20 minutes, or until soften; take off heat.
- In a separate skillet pan, add ghee (read my previous ghee recipe), cumin seeds, and mustard seeds over low-medium heat until the seeds start sputtering; add green chilies and garlic.
- Add the garnish onto the cooked dal; season with salt if needed.
- Finish with chopped up cilantro and lime juice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils