If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: . I decided to make soup because it is very cold here tonight. So , this is a very basic lentil soup, but it has lots of great flavors. I suppose if you crave meat you can add sausage or meatballs . —dymnyno
- 1 pound green lentils
- 3 cups sweet yellow onions, med dice
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- 40 ounces chicken stock
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 quart canned tomatoes, homemade, hopefully
- water as needed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Put the olive oil in a large pot and add the the onions and the carrots and saute until translucent. Add the thyme...do not add too much thyme...it can be overpowering!
- Add the lentils and add the chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the apple cider vinegar. It will give a little tang to the soup.
- Continue cooking and add water as needed , so that the lentils do not become too thick.
- When the lentils are tender, add the tomatoes and continue to cook.
- Add more water to keep a soup consistency.
- Simmer until all the flavors are incorporated. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in large bowls and garnish with Greek yoghurt and minced thyme. (Just a little )
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lentils