Author Notes: Picked this up several years ago from friends. Been making it ever since. - Steve2 in LA - Steve2 in LA
Food52 Review: Cold winter nights deserve this soul-satisfying bowl of comfort. Don't be put off by the amount of chiles -- they mellow out during their long visit in the oven and melt into the unctuous sauce. They provide a slight kick, but served over cheddar polenta they are quickly tamed. My only suggestion would be to double the amount of tomatoes to make the lip-smacking sauce last longer. I heartily endorse this recipe. - sticksnscones
Serves four to six
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 8 3" long meaty beef short ribs
the next day
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 8 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large fresh poblano chile, chopped
- 1 14oz can low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup drained, canned ROTEL tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juic
- 1-1/2 tablespoon chopped canned chipotle chiles
- 3 large, fresh anaheim chiles, stemmed, seeded, cut into 1/4" thick rings
- chopped fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- Mix first 5 ingredients in bowl; sprinkle all over short ribs. Place ribs on plate; cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Add half of ribs and brown on all sides, about 9 minutes; transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining ribs.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic to same pot; cover and cook until onion is soft, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to boil, scraping up browned bits. Add tomatoes, lime juice, and chipotle chiles.
- Return ribs to pot, meaty side down, in single layer. Bring to boil; cover and cook in oven until ribs are just tender, about 1½ hours.
- Remove pot from oven. Tilt pot; spoon off fat. Place pot over medium heat and simmer uncovered until sauce coats spoon and ribs are very tender, about 25 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 30 minutes, refrigerate uncovered until cold, cover and keep refrigerated.)
- Bring ribs to simmer over medium heat; add chili rings. Simmer until chiles soften, about 10-15 minutes. Transfer ribs and sauce to large bowl. Sprinkle with cilantro; garnish with lime wedges. Serve atop white rice, green chile risotto, cheddar mashed potatoes or alongside chunks of French bread.