Author Notes: I was searching online for a recipe for Braised Short Ribs for a birthday dinner and found one from Christopher Kimball on the Splendid Table web site. I tweaked it a bit. It is simple and delicious recipe for a newbie short rib braiser. This can be done the day before or start 5 hours before dinner. I serve this with a cauliflower puree and sauteed broccoli rabe. - Sally Mc
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 pounds bone in beef short ribs
- 1 cup diced onions
- 2 diced carrots
- 1 head of garlic, cloves seperated, smashed and skins removed
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 750ml bottle of a big red wine (cab, cote de rhone, meritage)
- 1/2 cup port
- 1 32oz box chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons fresh herbs (rosemary or tyme or pasley)
- Heat oil in a 5qt Dutch oven. Adjust oven rack to center to fit the dutch oven and heat to 300 degrees. Season Short Ribs with plenty of salt and pepper. Brown the short ribs on all sides in batches to not over crowd the pan and transfer to plate.
- Remove all but 2 tablespoons of fat from dutch oven, add onions and carrots saute until soft. Add garlic, saute until fragrant. Add flour, stir to combine. Add bottle of wine and scape up the brown bits on bottom of pan. Add port, chicken stock, bay leaves, tomato paste, stir to combine. Add short ribs back into dutch oven bring to a boil, cover and put pot into oven and cook for 3 hours.
- Remove from pot from oven. Remove ribs from pot, take off any veg stuck to meat and set ribs aside. You can remove the bones at this time if you wish. Strain braising liquid through large sieve into a bowl, press out liquid from solid. Throw out solids, spoon off extra fat at this time (or refigerate sauce and ribs in their seperate containers overnight and remove the fat from the liquid the next day.
- Add strained and defatted liquid to the cleaned dutch oven bring to a boil, simmer for 5-20 minutes until the sauce is thickened, add ribs simmer for 10-15 minutes until heated through and serve
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs