If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These are so good. I had the most delicious short ribs at Roy's restaurant in Hawaii while on vacation. Roy Yamaguchi publishes a short rib recipe in his cookbook but it's not THE recipe. I don't blame him for keeping a close hold on the original recipe because I would go back again and again just to have them. But I think I have cracked the code. I buy the lemongrass chopped by the pound at the Asian market. The only other ingredient that is a bit different is the Sweet Soy (Kwong Hung Seng Sauce). Molasses is very similar so I wouldn't go to too much trouble trying to track this down if you don't already have it on hand. - Andra - ourlastsupper
Food52 Review: This tasty little dish has a lovely Asian flair with an abundance of ginger, garlic and lemongrass. It will warm a winter night or brighten a potluck table. If you're clever enough to think ahead and throw in an extra couple of ribs, you might be lucky enough to have leftovers the next day ...which are worthwhile! - Victoria - The Editors
- 3-4 pounds Short ribs, boneless
- 1 cup Flour
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice
- 4 tablespoons Canola oil or light cooking oil
- 2 Onions, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 3 Stalks celery, diced
- 1 Bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup Fresh ginger, grated
- 1/2 tablespoon Fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup Garlic, chopped fine
- 4 tablespoons Lemongrass, chopped, divided
- 1/4 cup Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup Mirin
- 3 teaspoons Sesame oil
- 1/4 cup Rice wine vinegar
- 1 cup Soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons Sweet soy or substitute molasses
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Combine flour, salt, pepper and chinese five spice in a large bowl. Dry the short ribs with paper towels and then dredge them in the flour mixture.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over medium heat. Brown the short ribs on all sides and set aside. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the same pan and add the chopped onions, carrots and celery. Cook until the onions are translucent and then add the green onions, 1/3 cup of ginger, garlic and 3 tablespoons of lemongrass. Stir until fragrant, about 1 -2 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, the browned short ribs and enough water so that the ribs are covered. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover the pot and put in the oven for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the ribs shred easily with a fork but are not completely falling apart. They should still hold their shape.
- Remove the ribs from the pot and set the cooking liquid over a medium flame to thicken slightly. Add the reserved ginger and lemongrass. Don’t over-reduce the sauce. If you prefer a more refined sauce, you can strain out the solids at this point. (I usually don’t bother.)
- Serve the ribs over Japanese, jasmine or basmati rice. Pour some of the sauce over the ribs and around the rice. Sprinkle with chopped green onion.
A Genius Dinner Party: Part 2
Of course, it involves no-knead pizza dough.
A genius dinner party: part 2
A list of things we like.
Home & design links we love.
Fact: Kids love pizza.
Mortar and pestle perfection.