If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I am a bit obsessed with football, so when the Super Bowl rolls around each year I am thrilled! I decided to make a short rib dish that would be a one or two-bite appetizer. The South is synonymous with serving coleslaw on top of pulled pork sandwiches, hamburgers, grilled chicken sandwiches and really anything else you could put in between two pieces of bread. I wanted to bring a little of that flare to these open-face short rib sliders, so I made a super simple blue cheese slaw. It is light, with a crisp bite, and has great flavor. It adds such a nice note to the stout braised short ribs. I serve the rib meat on a mini-bun (want them to be almost flat) and top with the slaw. One could also serve them on small toasts. Go Saints! —Table9
Serves a crowd
Stout Braised Short Ribs
- 4 pounds Beef Short Ribs (bone-in), Fat Shaved Off and All Sides Salted and Peppered
- 4 Bacon Strips, Diced
- 1 Can Diced Fire-Roasted Tomatoes
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, Diced
- 2 Carrots, Diced
- 2 Celery Stalk, Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves, Sliced
- 2 1/2 cups Stout Beer (I used Southern Pecan, a Mississippi brewed stout)
- 2 Bay Leafs
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Sea Salt and Ground Pepper to Taste
- Heat dutch oven over medium heat. Cook bacon crumbles in dutch oven until crispy. Once cooked, discard - I nibbled on mine through out the cooking process :). Turn up the heat a notch and add the short ribs. Turning frequently, brown the ribs on all sides, should not take more than 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, carrots, celery and garlic to short ribs. Saute for about a minute. Add beer, nutmeg and bay leafs. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer on the stove top for 2 hours.
- Remove ribs from the dutch oven. Cut off any remaining fat, and shave meat off the rib. Skim fat off the top of the remaining broth and store for future use.
Blue Cheese Slaw
- 1 Small Head of Cabbage, Washed and Thinly Sliced
- 1 4 oz. package blue cheese crumbles (can sub 6 oz. of feta cheese if you dislike blue)
- 3 Green Onions, Diced
- 1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
- Splash of White Vinegar
- 1/2 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Granulated Sugar
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Pinch of Basil
- Combine shredded cabbage, green onions and blue cheese in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk vinegars, olive oil, sugar, salt, pepper and basil together. Pour over slaw, toss and refrigerate until ready to serve. * Can be made a day ahead of time
- Serve short rib meat on small bun or toasted bread crisps, top with slaw. Serve.
Give Peas a Chance
Pea guacamole and other offensive foods
Warning: You might be offended.
Burnt Toast: Episode 9
Savor the season.
The freedom to snack.