Author Notes: A combination of several recipes. One tip is to cook it the day before, chill and remove fat and reheat and serve or freeze. Wonderful meal for company. - Annielfras
- 1/2 cup Flour
- Dust short ribs with flour and salt and pepper
- Brown the ribs in vegetable oil
- set aside
- finely chop one large onion, one cup chopped celery, and one cup chopped carrot. Add to the pot and sautee until soft. About 8-10 minutes. Add 3 Tablespoons minced garlic and cook one minute. Add 1/2 pound cremini or white button mushrooms.
- Add 2 bay leaves, 5 sprigs fresh thyme, and 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary.
- Add 21/2 cups good dry red wine, 3 Tablespoons tomato paste, 1 (15oz) can crushed tomatoes, 2 cups of beef stock, and 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper and 1 teaspoon salt,
- Return short ribs to slow cooker and cook for 6hours on low or until meat is tender. Adjust seasonings to taste. Serve with mashed potatoes.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Short Ribs
Tags: can be made ahead