If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You don't post a picture of flanken cut short ribs and not expect a Korean BBQ recipe :) Actually, I was tinkering with a braised short rib recipe, but didn't have enough time to experiment, so I decided to go with the basic Korean Kalbi. It's simple and quick on the grill. What the recipe lacks in cooking time is made up in marinating time. I like to serve it with hot rice, flavored seaweed, and kimchi. - edamame2003 - edamame2003
Food52 Review: Fans of Korean barbecue, rejoice! Edamame2003 is here to show you how to make the real deal without a lot of sweat. The two-stage marinade -- featuring sake, pear or apple juice, Tamari, garlic and sesame, among other things -- is delightfully simple. After an overnight soak, the short ribs, sliced thin, cook in no time. Broiling worked well for us; despite the high heat, the meat still emerged tender and flavorful due to the long marinating time. The flavor is sweet, salty, a little boozy and a little nutty -- who could ask for more? – A&M - The Editors
- 1 pound beef short ribs, cut against the bone, lengthwise. 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sake
- 1/2 cup asian pear juice (or apple juice)
- 1/2 cup Tamari (or soy sauce)
- 1/8 cup honey powder or brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/8 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- black pepper to taste
- lay out the ribs in a single layer and pour sake and juice evenly over each rib. Turn over and do the same. Cover or place in a ziploc and marinate for at least 2 hours.
- Mix the remaining ingredients and pour into the ziploc with the ribs.
- Lay the bag of ribs as flat as possible so that the ribs can marinate evenly. Leave in the fridge at least overnight. (Sometimes I freeze the bags of ribs and defrost when I want to eat them).
- Grill on medium heat, turning once. Or you can broil in the oven on both sides.
- Your Best Short Ribs Contest Finalist!
Soffritto: The Superstar
Your new favorite three-ingredient ingredient.
Soffritto's a superstar.
Shop our Father's Day collection.
Lettuce love vegetables.
This is poppin'.