Author Notes: Apples are among my very favorite foods, and I love them as the sweet, crisp edge in an otherwise savory dish -- the combo here allows the spices to really pop. This lovely, simple salad works served warm, just after the lentils are cooked, or at room temperature -- let the lentils cool in the fridge or on the counter before mixing in the apples and lemon juice. - Meister
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tart red apples, diced (Braeburn or Cameos work well)
- juice of one lemon
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat; add garlic and cook until soft, but not brown (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in spices and lentils and mix together well. Cook until fragrant (2 minutes).
- Add water and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft and the water is absorbed (25–35 minutes).
- In a large bowl, combine lentils, red onion slices, apples, and lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature (for the latter, let the lentil-onion mixture cool for 30 minutes before adding the apples and lemon juice).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples