If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Apples are among my very favorite foods, and I love them as the sweet, crisp edge in an otherwise savory dish -- the combo here allows the spices to really pop. This lovely, simple salad works served warm, just after the lentils are cooked, or at room temperature -- let the lentils cool in the fridge or on the counter before mixing in the apples and lemon juice. - Meister
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- salt to taste
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 2 cups water
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tart red apples, diced (Braeburn or Cameos work well)
- juice of one lemon
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat; add garlic and cook until soft, but not brown (2-3 minutes).
- Stir in spices and lentils and mix together well. Cook until fragrant (2 minutes).
- Add water and bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are soft and the water is absorbed (25–35 minutes).
- In a large bowl, combine lentils, red onion slices, apples, and lemon juice. Serve warm or at room temperature (for the latter, let the lentil-onion mixture cool for 30 minutes before adding the apples and lemon juice).
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Salad with Apples
Freeze It Right There
A fruity, frozen spin on a classic.
A bananas frozen daiquiri.
Community Picks: Lettuce-Free Salad
All you need for Memorial Day.
Cast your vote!
Mortar and pestle perfection.