If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Home made mayonnaise is something I have always had since I was a child. With boiled fish, boiled potatoes and vegetables, with bread as a snack but above all as a dip. You can use this mayonnaise as a dip for everything savory and any crudités. But my favourite use is for the fondue bourguignonne my grandmother used to prepare every year for my birthday. Home made mayonnaise is so delicate that you can have it just plain but it can also be enriched with any kind of spices (I like curry), minced parsley and garlic, or even ketchup to have it pink (which is a perfect dip for shrimps). While blending, sometimes curds could form: you can save it by adding another egg and make a bigger quantity in the same container. The amount of necessary oil is rough as it could vary a lot according to the kind of oil and the dimension of the egg. —heirloom
Makes about 2 1/2 cups
- 1 egg
- 1 cup good extra vergin olive oil
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil (I like sunflower seeds oil)
- 1 lemon
- 1 pinch fine salt
- Break the egg in the glass of your hand blender (or in another similar tall container).
- Start blending the egg while adding oil little by little (about 2 tbsp at a time) alternating EVOO and vegetable oil. Keep blending until the mixture becomes firm. You want to obtain a firm mixture as, adding lemon in the next step, mayonnaise will melt a little.
- Keep blending while adding the juice of 1/2 lemon. If mayonnaise becomes too liquid add a little more oil. Always blending add the salt.
- Adjust lemon and salt to your taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fair Food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish in the Raw
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dip
These Figs are Feeling a Little Tart
Learn to love fruit with chocolate
Learning to love fruit with chocolate.
How to throw a Genius dinner party for 30.
We've got the summer blues.
13 essential cooking apps.
A better basket.