If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Comfort food in our house which is very simple and rewarding. This dish is rich but not too overwhelming and has a great balance of heat and spice that will keep your guests coming back and looking for more. —Myra
- 1 1/2 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive oil plus 1 T more if needed
- 2 tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 medium to large Yellow onion sliced into 1/8" rings
- 1 small Garlic Clove minced
- 1 (14.5oz) can Diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 1/3 tablespoon Hot Hungarian paprika (1/2 T if you like it spicy)
- 1 cup Low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Sour cream brought to room temperature
- 1 Package Wide egg noodles or spaetzle put into water when timer from Paprikash reads 7 minutes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cube chicken into equal size pieces approx. 1"x1" and pat dry. Season chicken with salt and pepper tossing to coat.
- Heat oil in dutch oven over medium-high heat until almost smoking and add chicken. Cook until golden brown on each side and then remove chicken to bowl.
- While chicken is browning add tomato paste to small nonstick frying pan over medium to high heat stirring constantly until paste becomes fragrant, concentrated and brown. Set aside in small dish to prevent from burning.
- In dutch oven that chicken was cooked in add up to 1T olive oil if required depending on fat from chicken and add onions to hot pan stirring frequently until onion has become soft and slightly brown. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste reduction as stir continuously for 1 minute.
- Stir in Garlic and cook for another minute.
- De-glaze pan with all of chicken broth scraping the bottom with wooden spoon. Add tomatoes plus paprika brining to simmer. Taste and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken plus liquid from bowl back to dutch oven and transfer uncovered to oven.
- Bake 45 minutes until chicken is tender and sauce has reduced by about 1/3.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 3 minutes uncovered. Push chicken, tomato, and onions to side leaving majority of sauce separated.
- Stir in sour cream until fully incorporated (will not curdle if removed from heat).
- Serve over warm egg noodles or spaetzle.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Paprika
Recipe of the Day
Corn, squash, cheese, done
Recipe of the Day
Show us your best vegan recipe.
We've got the summer blues.
Your new favorite Japanese dish.
A better basket.