If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A simple preparation that infuses a classic cream-yolk-sugar custard turned ice cream with sensual scents of cardamom and gentle hints of orange. The effect is surprising, exciting, seducing. Try and you shall see. - FrenchPressMemos
Makes 1 very full pint.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 10 pods cardamom
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and toast the cardamom pods for 10 minutes.
- Grind the cardamom pods in a spice mill or coffee grinder that you only use for spices.
- Add the ground cardamom and orange zest to the heavy cream, blend, and place it in a nonreactive pan over medium-low heat until it comes to a very gentle simmer.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let it steep for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar until the yolks become a shade of yellow lighter and the sugar is dissolved.
- Reheat the cream mixture to a very gentle simmer.
- Temper the eggs by adding very small amounts of the hot cream mixture to the eggs and stirring continuously until you add about 1/2 of the hot liquid in. Then pour the egg mixture in with the rest of the hot cream mixture.
- Return the pot to the stove on medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon the mixture forms a custard that coats the back of the spoon, probably 3-5 minutes.
- Strain through a tamis or fine mesh sieve into a bowl set on ice water. Stir until cool to touch.
- Place in the ice cream maker for 25-30 minutes, depending on your type of ice cream maker. Freeze and enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
A Better Way to Prepare Asparagus
Plus a genius dressing.
A better way to prepare asparagus.
Your Memorial Day menu made easy.
Freshen up for spring.
Meat-free Memorial Day recipes.
Drink better coffee.