Author Notes: An Afghan friend taught me this recipe. The delicate combination of spices simmering fragrantly on the stove top will be sure to impress your guests. Serve it with basmati rice. - athena_girl
- 3 onions, chopped coarsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 14.5 ounces diced stewed tomatoes
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 cups Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- Saute the onion in oil until soft but not browned. Add in the spices and garlic, stirring briefly 15-30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, and 3 cups water.
- Add the butternut squash. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the potatoes. Simmer on low heat for 30-40 minutes until the squash & potatoes are tender.
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 3 cloved garlic, pressed
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried mint, crumbled
- While the squash is simmering, prepare the yogurt sauce by combining all of the ingredients above. To serve, ladle a spoonful of squash over basmati rice. Top with the minted yogurt sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom