If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it
Author Notes: Working my way around the world through recipes in ice cream will not help my lower cholesterol, but does provide one way to happy experiments. So how could I resist an ice cream adventure in cardamom with my love of masala chai? With all the heavy cream, I suggest this recipe come with a requirement to visit the gym. Trust me, it is really worth the trip! For this recipe I am using black cardamom for a slightly smoky taste. If you only have green cardamom, it will also be delicious but in a different sweeter, more aromatic way. There are many savory cardamom uses, but this ice cream temptation won out over those. Please note this recipe is truly inspired by India, but does not make any claims to be an authentic Indian recipe! - Sagegreen
Makes 1 pint
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1/8 teaspoon anise seed
- 1 cup heavy cream, organic preferred
- 3/4 cups half and half
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 ounces dark muscovado sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon Meyer's lemon zest
- optional garnish of whipped cream, lightly seasoned with spice
- optional garnish of ground spice mix including ginger, cinnamon and a touch of cardamom
- a splash of brandy for a special dessert is another optional finish
- Be sure to use fresh spices, not outdated ones. Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods. Take all the spice seeds and bruise and crush them in a mortar and pestle.I like them a bit coarse for added texture to the ice cream. Pan fry them for 1-3 minutes.
- In a heavy sauce pan whisk together the cream, half and half, muscovado sugar, all the spices, and salt. Scald, but do not bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Take off the heat.
- Whisk the egg yolks together with the lemon zest. Temper with 1/4 cup of the cream mix. Gradually pour yolk mix into the rest of cream mix in the pan and stir over low heat, but do not boil. Cover with parchment paper and cool; then refrigerate for at least 4 hours or more.
- Proceed to follow your ice cream maker directions and process as ice cream. Freeze in a container for a few hours for best results.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh spices and optional whipped cream, which can also be seasoned with spice. Savor the spice blend.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom