If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Back in December I dusted off my dehydrator intending to make aargersi's "Trio of Citrus Salts". I had received a large fruit basket for Christmas and didn't want it to go to waste. Though I dried the citrus, I never made the salts for one reason or another. Today I was inspired to make a blend with orange and cardamom. This really kicked up our roasted sweet potatoes and would probably be great on grilled fish or roasted duck as well. - nannydeb - nannydeb
Food52 Review: I was very excited to test nannydeb's sweet potatoes, and my only regret is that I didn't make twice as much--I could have eaten it for days. I did not dehydrate the orange--I used the grated zest with my spice blend as she suggested as an alternative. And I made half with cardamom and the other half with cinnamon (which my husband prefers)--both ways were really delicious, and even better was eating the potatoes spiced with both cardamom and cinnamon. We served them with roast chicken and it was a perfect side dish--one that I am sure I will make again and again. I highly recommend this recipe as an Editors' Pick.
Orange Cardamom salt blend
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- non stick spray
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- If not using a dehydrator, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Spread the orange slices over the sheet and bake for 5-6 hours or until dried. Remove any seeds.
- Store in an airtight container.
- In a spice grinder, combine one dried orange slice, the cardamom, black peppercorns and coarse salt. Pulse until all are ground.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch slices
- olive oil for drizzling
- honey for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced sweet potatoes with a little olive oil. Add the orange cardamom salt and toss well.
- Spread the sweet potatoes onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring after the first 10 minutes. Bake until potatoes are soft.
- Drizzle the potatoes with a little honey and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Tags: sweet and savory