Author Notes: Back in December I dusted off my dehydrator intending to make aargersi's "Trio of Citrus Salts". I had received a large fruit basket for Christmas and didn't want it to go to waste. Though I dried the citrus, I never made the salts for one reason or another. Today I was inspired to make a blend with orange and cardamom. This really kicked up our roasted sweet potatoes and would probably be great on grilled fish or roasted duck as well. - nannydeb - nannydeb
Food52 Review: I was very excited to test nannydeb's sweet potatoes, and my only regret is that I didn't make twice as much--I could have eaten it for days. I did not dehydrate the orange--I used the grated zest with my spice blend as she suggested as an alternative. And I made half with cardamom and the other half with cinnamon (which my husband prefers)--both ways were really delicious, and even better was eating the potatoes spiced with both cardamom and cinnamon. We served them with roast chicken and it was a perfect side dish--one that I am sure I will make again and again. I highly recommend this recipe as an Editors' Pick.
Orange Cardamom salt blend
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- non stick spray
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- If not using a dehydrator, preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray. Spread the orange slices over the sheet and bake for 5-6 hours or until dried. Remove any seeds.
- Store in an airtight container.
- In a spice grinder, combine one dried orange slice, the cardamom, black peppercorns and coarse salt. Pulse until all are ground.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch slices
- olive oil for drizzling
- honey for drizzling
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, toss the sliced sweet potatoes with a little olive oil. Add the orange cardamom salt and toss well.
- Spread the sweet potatoes onto a large baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring after the first 10 minutes. Bake until potatoes are soft.
- Drizzle the potatoes with a little honey and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Tags: sweet and savory