If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You never know what you will come across on the backstretch at Saratoga Race Course. Outside one barn, we stumbled across two fellows cooking up a storm at 9 a.m. At first, considering the hour, we thought it was oatmeal, until we got a whiff. Wow! Did that smell great! Even better than the horses! We've toned it down a bit (eliminating the scotch bonnet peppers and adding some fruit) but it cleaves to the original in spirit. —wssmom
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
- 8 good-sized pieces of chicken (breasts, thighs, legs, what-have-you)
- 5 stems fresh thyme
- 2 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 heaping teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 heaping teaspoon ginger
- 2 heaping teaspoons cardamom
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups water, or to cover
- 3 small red potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 banana, chopped
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and chunked
- Melt butter into vegetable oil in a large pot; add onions, garlic, chicken, thyme, turmeric, coriander, cayenne, cinnamon, ginger, and cardamom and cook, stirring, over high heat for a few minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and water to barely cover, bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer, covered, for about 12 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and tomato paste; cook until water is reduced and [potatoes are tender, about 12 minutes.
- Stir in raisins, bananas and apple and simmer 5 more minutes. Serve with hot brown rice.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Never Overcook Salmon Again
Low and (kind of) slow is the way to go
The foolproof way to cook salmon.
Never buy frozen yogurt again.
Know (and shop) the basics.
The invincible beer can chicken.
The chicest apron around.