If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe I learned when I was living in Germany. In looking for more details I found a base recipe in Foods of the World "The Cooking of Scandinavia," which I am adapting. I am introducing cardamom to this recipe in two ways to make the flavors really come alive: I am first poaching the fruit in wine with cardamom pods and then grinding some cardamom seeds in with the almonds. I have cut down the butter and introduced other fruits beyond apple. The liquid from poaching makes for a great base for drinks! I have a drink mixing the reserve with cardamom tea illustrated with a slice of the äppelkaka in the snow. The kaka featured also include peaches with a few fresh mango slices and pears in small baking dishes. Today's snow storm just made me look for something to enjoy after all the shoveling ahead. - Sagegreen
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 lemon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 4 large fruits, a combination of tart apples, pears and/or peaches
- optional fresh mango slices for accents, without poaching
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon Meyer's lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Meyer's lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 egg whites
- pinch of sea salt
- garnish with cardamom honey flavored Greek yogurt, if you like
- In a pan combine the wine, water, lemon, honey, ginger and 3 whole cardamom pods. Peel your choice of 4 fruits, core and cut in halves and add them to the liquid right away. Add the peels to the pot for flavor. Bring the pot to a boil and poach the fruit for about 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the fruit from the liquid. Reserve the liquid for a drink which can be combined with an equal measure of brewed cardamom tea.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter. Add the sugar. Beat in one egg yolk at a time.
- Grind the almonds and the seeds from the 2 cardamom pods. Combine these with the batter. Add the citrus juices next.
- Whip the egg whites until stiff. Fold these into the batter.
- In a lightly buttered shallow baking dish arrange the fruit with the cut side down. In one dish I even added some fresh mango slices with the peaches. Spread the batter on top of the poached fruits. Bake in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool. Serve slightly warm. Garnish with cardamom honey flavored Greek yogurt as an option.
Tags: comfort food
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Dumplings, No Recipe Required
Dumplings for one, dumplings for all.
Shop Spring Cleaning
Gluten-Free Strawberry Tart
Eclectic Truffle Chocolate Bars
Cuban-inspired recipes to cook now.