Author Notes: I have been thinking about making panna cotta for a long time and this is the result of my first attempt. It is creamy, a little smoky, and incredibly decadent. The bits of ground espresso that end up in your cup (or ramekin) make a rich dark top to your panna cotta. - gingerroot
- 1 1/4 cup cream
- 3 black cardamom pods
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons finely ground espresso
- 4 tablespoons Cold water
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 3/4 cups cup milk
- 3/4 cups cream
- BEGIN ONE DAY AHEAD: In a saucepan, combine cream, cardamom pods, sugar and espresso. Bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes, whisking to dissolve sugar. Remove from heat and transfer to a glass measuring cup, let mixture sit for one hour. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge overnight.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Without stirring, allow mixture to sit for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour chilled cream mixture through a sieve into a saucepan. I wanted to get the most mileage out of my cardamom pods, so I picked them out of the sieve and popped them back into the pot. Use a spatula to help push out all the cream (its okay if some of the espresso ends up back in the pot). Bring mixture to a simmer, add gelatin, whisking constantly to dissolve. Cook for a minute more.
- Add milk and remaining cream (or half and half), bring to a simmer, whisking to combine. Cook for a minute more.
- Strain mixture through a sieve set over a glass measuring cup. Allow mixture to cool for a bit. While mixture is cooling, prepare six ramekins or coffee cups by spraying with non-stick spray. Evenly divide mixture into cups, scraping the sides of the measuring cup with a spatula. Cover each with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Enjoy straight out of ramekins or cups, or to release panna cotta, run a sharp knife around edge of container and briefly dip bottom into a bowl of hot water. Carefully invert onto a plate and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Coffee
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom