If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Pistachio and cardamom are probably my favorite flavor combination - I grew up with them and so they have a strong hold on my heart (and tongue!). The cookies don't contain any pistachio - they're strictly cardamom flavored; the nuts are rolled on the edges of the cookies, making for a pretty and delicate treat. - raspberryeggplant
Makes two and a half dozen cookies
- 1/4 cup shelled raw pistachios
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground cardamom (use a heaping 1/4 teaspoon if using pre-ground)
- Heat an oven to 350 F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment or Silpats and set aside.
- Add the nuts and 1 tablespoon of sugar to a spice grinder or small food processor. Pulse until the nuts are chopped into very small pieces - you don't want to grind them to a powder - and set aside.
- Add the butter and remaining 5 tablespoons of sugar to a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Sift the flour, cardamom, and salt into the mixing bowl and mix either by hand (if using a handheld mixer) or on lowest speed (if using a stand mixer) until just combined.
- Spread a large piece of plastic wrap on the counter. Transfer the dough from the bowl to the plastic wrap and form it into a log about 1 ½” in diameter. Roll the dough back and forth on the plastic wrap to get the edges as smooth and round as possible.
- Move the dough to the top end of the plastic wrap and sprinkle the ground pistachio mixture in a line down the center of the plastic wrap that is the same length as the log of dough. Roll the dough down and into the ground nuts, picking up and turning over the dough as necessary until it is evenly coated. Wrap the dough, place it on a sheet pan, and freeze for 20 minutes.
- When the dough is chilled, slice it into rounds approximately 3/8” thick and transfer the cookies to the prepared baking sheets, leaving at least 1" between each. Bake until just lightly golden around the edges, 12-14 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.