Author Notes: My grandmother (she just turned 94) is from Berne, Switzerland and this is her recipe. She would use the smallest cookie cutters to make these cookies and I would spend hours in the kitchen helping her. My photo includes the cookies and my grandmothers rolling pin. - Foodie-isms
Makes a lot
- 1 bottle of dark Molasses
- 1 bottle of light molasses
- 1/2 pound butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 pound brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom (I use more)
- 3 pounds flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Mix molasses (both bottles), butter, eggs, brown sugar, and cardamom.
- Then add flour and baking soda and combine.
- Cover and put in refrigerator for 3 days.
- When you are ready to start baking (after the third day) roll out the dough onto a floured surface. Keep unused dough cold until ready to roll. Use cookie cutters to cut out your shaped cookies.
- Bake at 375 for 7 minutes. Larger cookies will take a bit longer to bake.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Cardamom