If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love how fast, easy and affordable muscles are to make, serve and eat. Julia Child says to serve 3 lbs for four people. My fish guy says 2 pounds per person. I have settled for a pound per person. Increase this recipe to any size you want. The onion jam is a staple in my fridge and it adds another layer of flavor to the citrus, saffron and green olives that I use in this lip smacking recipe. Make sure you have plenty of bread to sop up the refreshing citrus and salty broth that is at the bottom of the bowl of mussels. —MyCommunalTable
- 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Add olive oil, onions, bay leaves, cloves, and thyme in a saute pan. Mix and heat over medium low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add butter and water. Just make sure that there is enough water to cover all the onions. Cover and turn down to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes. Add more water if it is needed.
- Take out bay leaves, thyme sprigs, and cloves before seasoning with salt and pepper. It will be used in other recipes, so keep it subtle.
- Store in fridge and scoop out onions when needed.
Mediterranean Rim Mussels
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 3 gloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/2 cup onion jam
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 clementine, juice of
- 2 pinches saffron
- 1/2 cup spanish green olives, finely chopped
- 2 lbs, clean live mussels
- In a large covered pan, add olive oil, red peppers, & garlic. Cook down over medium heat.
- Add white wine, jam, lemon juice, clementine juice, saffron, and olives. Cook for about 3-5 minutes so that alcohol is cooked off a bit. Taste and adjust seasoning, but remember the muscles will add more of seafood salt flavor.
- Add mussels cover and steam until mussels open up and all their lovely juices seep out. Approximately a minute or two.
- Pour mussels and pan juices in to bowl. Enjoy.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Citrus & Olives
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).