If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I first heard of Lamingtons, delicious sponge bites, dipped in chocolate and rolled in dessicated coconut and icons of Australian cuisine, I thought two things - a small English village or cousins to the kangaroos. Thankfully neither of my dead-end choices were right. This recipe was born out of the impatience of kids, a new chocolate fondue set and cake, which didn't even make it to being trimmed of its crusts. It is definitely a great 'something-for-everyone-dessert.
The fruit should vary according to the season....so a few summers ago we enjoyed strawberries and cherries. —Kitchen Butterfly
Makes enough to go around
Lamington a la Fondue
- Sponge cake, about an inch+ in height, crusts shaved off and cut into 1X1 inch squares
- 1 - 2 portions of chocolate sauce in a fondue pan
- 1 - 2 ripe bananas, peeled and cut into rings
- 1 - 2 cups of fresh pineapple chunks
- Other pieces of fruit, your preference
- 1 - 2 cups of dessicated coconut
- 1 cup of crushed nuts - pistachios, hazelnuts etc
- Optional - liquid food colouring
- If you want to create some fun, add a couple of drops of food colouring to some of the dessicated coconut to colour it and mix with your hands. Leave it out overnight on a flat plate to 'dry' - you can put it in the oven (not turned on)
- To serve the fondue, put the sponge cake pieces in a bowl, and the other fruit in separate bowls. Set the coconut in bowls as well and then put the warm chocolate into top half of the fondue and light a candle/or turn on the heat source to keep the fondue warm
- Dip a piece of cake or fruit or marshmallow into the chocolate and then into the coconut or nuts, then into your mouth....to eat
- 150g mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons icing sugar, or adjust to taste
- 200g milk/plain/mixed chocolate chips
- 1 - 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of salted butter
- Enough milk to thin mixture
- Optional: 1 - 2 teaspoons of microplaned orange zest
- Optional: pinch of cinnamon/cardamom powder, to taste
- In a pan, warm the mascarpone cheese on low - medium heat, whisking to loosen. Add the icing sugar and the chocolate chips and whisk till melted and the colour transforms from matte to gloss.
- Once melted, add the vanilla extract and butter then start adding the milk, whisking till you get a slightly thickened pouring consistency. Add the cinnamon/cardamom powder if you like. Keep warm in the fondue pot
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fondue
Toppings That Are out of the Park
How to make one haute dog
Out of the park toppings.
Life's a beach.
It's time to travel.
Food blog links we love.
Put cake on a pedestal.