Author Notes: If you grew up in a family that likes to cook, chances are you have a chocolate cake recipe that's been passed down. This one bowl cake is so fast and adaptable that it's perfect for a special holiday, a last-minute dinner party or just because you want chocolate cake. - Jacquie Chamberlain
- 1 cup unbleached AP flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted but still warm
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-3 teaspoons cinnamon+nutmeg or orange zest or anything other flavor combinations you'd like (optional)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- pinches salt
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and position a rack in the lower third.
- 2. Butter and flour (or put parchment down) the bottom of an 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- 3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt onto a piece of parchment paper.
- 4. In a bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk to combine.
- 5. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and any other flavors you wish. Whisk until smooth.
- 6. Making a funnel by picking up the two long ends of parchment paper, add the flour mixture all at once. Stir until the flour mixture is just moist. Do not overblend.
- 7. Pour the hot water and buttermilk over the batter and mix into smooth.
- 8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 9. Let cool for about 10 minutes before flipping it out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- 10. While the cake is cooling, make your ganache by heating up your cream or milk in a saucepan until scalded and little bubbles are rising on the edge. Likewise you can do this in the microwave, but make sure you do not boil it!
- 11. Place your chocolate chips in a bowl and pour the hot milk onto the chips. let them sit for a minute before whisking until smooth. Melt in the butter and salt.
- 12. When your cake has completely cooled, pour the warm ganache right on top, smooth the top and let it pour over the sides.