If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: If you grew up in a family that likes to cook, chances are you have a chocolate cake recipe that's been passed down. This one bowl cake is so fast and adaptable that it's perfect for a special holiday, a last-minute dinner party or just because you want chocolate cake. - Jacquie Chamberlain
- 1 cup unbleached AP flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted but still warm
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-3 teaspoons cinnamon+nutmeg or orange zest or anything other flavor combinations you'd like (optional)
- 6 ounces chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
- pinches salt
- 1. Preheat your oven to 350 F and position a rack in the lower third.
- 2. Butter and flour (or put parchment down) the bottom of an 8-inch or 9-inch cake pan.
- 3. Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt onto a piece of parchment paper.
- 4. In a bowl, combine the melted butter and brown sugar. Whisk to combine.
- 5. Add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and any other flavors you wish. Whisk until smooth.
- 6. Making a funnel by picking up the two long ends of parchment paper, add the flour mixture all at once. Stir until the flour mixture is just moist. Do not overblend.
- 7. Pour the hot water and buttermilk over the batter and mix into smooth.
- 8. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- 9. Let cool for about 10 minutes before flipping it out onto a cooling rack. Cool completely.
- 10. While the cake is cooling, make your ganache by heating up your cream or milk in a saucepan until scalded and little bubbles are rising on the edge. Likewise you can do this in the microwave, but make sure you do not boil it!
- 11. Place your chocolate chips in a bowl and pour the hot milk onto the chips. let them sit for a minute before whisking until smooth. Melt in the butter and salt.
- 12. When your cake has completely cooled, pour the warm ganache right on top, smooth the top and let it pour over the sides.