If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a recipe from my childhood days. I am sure it has made an appearance in many community cookbooks. My mother used to make it. I remember pulling my little chair up to the oven door to watch it bake. I now bake it for my own children. - Waverly
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, sepparated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- CREAM BUTTER AND SUGAR: Preheat oven to 325. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamed. While beating, gradually add the sugar. Cream until light and fluffy.
- ADD: Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Beat well. Stir in the milk. Stir in 1/4 cup of the almonds.
- BEAT EGG WHITES AND FOLD INTO MIXTURE: In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold them carefully into the batter.
- BAKE: Pour batter into a 9-inch loaf pan. Place in a roasting pan. Pour hot water to come up about 1/3 of the way up the loaf pan. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Raise temperature of oven to 350 and bake until top browns, about 10 minutes longer.
- SERVE: Divide pudding among 8 individual cups (a coffee cup looks nice, or pyrex is fine). Sprinkle top with remaining almonds. Serve warm or cover and chill.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding