Author Notes: This is a recipe from my childhood days. I am sure it has made an appearance in many community cookbooks. My mother used to make it. I remember pulling my little chair up to the oven door to watch it bake. I now bake it for my own children. - Waverly
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, sepparated
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- CREAM BUTTER AND SUGAR: Preheat oven to 325. In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamed. While beating, gradually add the sugar. Cream until light and fluffy.
- ADD: Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Beat well. Stir in the milk. Stir in 1/4 cup of the almonds.
- BEAT EGG WHITES AND FOLD INTO MIXTURE: In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold them carefully into the batter.
- BAKE: Pour batter into a 9-inch loaf pan. Place in a roasting pan. Pour hot water to come up about 1/3 of the way up the loaf pan. Bake until set, about 40 minutes. Raise temperature of oven to 350 and bake until top browns, about 10 minutes longer.
- SERVE: Divide pudding among 8 individual cups (a coffee cup looks nice, or pyrex is fine). Sprinkle top with remaining almonds. Serve warm or cover and chill.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Family Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding