Author Notes: This is truly pure comfort in a cup! Maple syrup makes this a "grade A" New England classic. - sticksnscones
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 3/4 cups Grape-Nuts cereal
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- freshly grated nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a saucepan heat the milk with the cereal until very warm but not boiling. Set aside to cool slightly
- In a large bowl beat the eggs with the maple syrup, sugar, vanilla and salt.
- Gradually whisk in the warm milk/cereal mixture. Start with a small amount at first so as not to "scramble" the eggs.
- Butter 6-8 custard cups or ramekins. Alternatively butter a 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Stir the custard to redistribute the Grape-Nuts and pour into the custard cups or casserole. Place within a large roasting pan. Fill pan with very hot water so that it comes halfway up the custard dishes or casserole. Carefully place in the oven.
- Bake the custards 10 minutes. Stir the pudding very gently to redistribute the Grape-nuts. Sprinkle the surface with the grated nutmeg.
- Continue to bake until set but slightly jiggly in the middle. This will take about 20-25 minutes for the custard cups or about 40-45 minutes for the casserole.
- Remove the custards from the water bath and set on a wire rack to cool. Refrigerate or serve at room temperature.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding