Author Notes: Recently, Sconegirl asked me to make custard for her fish fingers. Let me just say, don't yuck her yum. If you're a Doctor Who fan, you'll know what we're talking about. If not, well, indulge us for a moment, please. This recipe is adapted from the recipe Boiled Custard from James Beard's American Cookery. When I realized what I had was not pudding but soft custard, I put the mixture into the cream whipper (thank you Amanda for writing the Beet Mousse story) and we were pleasantly surprised. - mrslarkin
Serves a whole lotta whovians
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cardamom pods, crushed
- 2 cups heavy cream, heated until steaming hot
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sliced bananas (optional)
- fish fingers (optional)
- Set a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Add the yolks, sugar, salt and cardamom to the bowl and stir together.
- Slowly stir the hot cream into the yolk mixture.
- Stir continuously until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. It will not thicken like a pudding, but will be more sauce-like.
- Move the custard off the heat. Stir in the vanilla. Let cool. If you're in a hurry, set the bowl in an ice bath.
- Strain out the cardamom. Place custard in the fridge to chill.
- If you have one of those cool iSi cream whipper gadget thingees, then fill it half-way with the chilled custard, charge it with 1 cartridge, shake the canister several times and dispense into dessert ramekins; layer with sliced bananas. Top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- If you don't have one of those cool iSi cream whipper gadget thingees, you can probably whip it real good with a whisk or in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Chill your bowl and beaters for optimal whipped peaks. Or you can make some nice fluffy soft meringues with your leftover egg whites and you'll have Floating Islands for your soft custard. Or, you can pour the sauce over pound cake. Or dip fish fingers into it. :)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vanilla
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
Tags: fish fingers and custard