If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Hot cocoa is all well and good. A mug is a great way to satisfy your after-dinner chocolate cravings. And cupping the warm mug between your hands after playing in the snow or shoveling the driveway is simply heavenly.
The chocolate must be chopped or shaved into small pieces in order for this method to work. Otherwise, you’ll end up with chunks of unmelted chocolate in the bottom of your mug. That’s not necessarily a bad thing, but not quite what we’re going for here.
This recipe was a part of Hot Chocolate Week on my blog, Savvy Eats, in February 2011. More posts from the week can be found here: http://www.savvyeat.com/tag/hot-chocolate/ - SavvyJulie
Food52 Review: Drinking chocolate this is not. More like drink-up-able. Whole milk, unsweetened cocoa powder and luscious dark chocolate (the best you have - you'll only be using 1 ounce) liquefy together over low heat - a whole new kind of holy trinity unites before your eyes to become what is undoubtedly the Perfect Hot Chocolate. It's chilly out there, drink up! - A&M
- 1 ounce semisweet or dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (optional, to taste)
- 1 pinch salt
- In a small saucepan, mix the chocolate, cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of the milk over low heat. Stir continuously until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the rest of the milk and the salt. Stir, then allow to heat the rest of the way through.
- Stir in sugar to taste. Pour into a mug and top with marshmallows or whipped cream, if desired.
- This recipe is a Wildcard Contest Winner!