If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This time of year there's not much in the way of local luscious fruit. The lemons were easy to come by, however, and I was lucky enough to be the recipient of some organic kiwi to use as a topping. You could use any kind of fruit, though. - wssmom
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped out
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- grated zest of a lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 kiwi fruit, sliced into thin rounds
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees. In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the milk with the vanilla bean and seeds until barely bubbling around the edges. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, the egg yolk, the sugar and the lemon zest in a medium-sized bowl along with the pinch of salt.
- Strain the bean and seeds out of the milk and whisk into the eggs. Pour into four small custard dishes or ramekins. Put the ramekins on a roasting pan and pour hot water into the pan about halfway up the sides.
- Walk carefully across the kitchen with the pan, trying not to slosh the water, place in the oven and bake about 45-50 minutes. The sides should be set and the middle should be almost set.
- Cool for a couple of hours and top with a slice of kiwi.