Author Notes: This time of year there's not much in the way of local luscious fruit. The lemons were easy to come by, however, and I was lucky enough to be the recipient of some organic kiwi to use as a topping. You could use any kind of fruit, though. - wssmom
- 2 cups milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped out
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- grated zest of a lemon
- pinch of salt
- 1 kiwi fruit, sliced into thin rounds
- Heat the oven to 325 degrees. In a small heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the milk with the vanilla bean and seeds until barely bubbling around the edges. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs, the egg yolk, the sugar and the lemon zest in a medium-sized bowl along with the pinch of salt.
- Strain the bean and seeds out of the milk and whisk into the eggs. Pour into four small custard dishes or ramekins. Put the ramekins on a roasting pan and pour hot water into the pan about halfway up the sides.
- Walk carefully across the kitchen with the pan, trying not to slosh the water, place in the oven and bake about 45-50 minutes. The sides should be set and the middle should be almost set.
- Cool for a couple of hours and top with a slice of kiwi.