If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A recipe from my Dutch friend Engeline who I'll help open a food52 account so she can get full credit for her recipes! - Kitchen Butterfly
Makes 1 large dish
- 1 kg apples
- Juice of one lemon
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2-3 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 10-12 pieces of rye bread
- 2 cups cider (or apple juice)
- 2 tablespoons (biological) butter
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons of chopped almonds
- VANILLA SAUCE
- 400 ml full fat milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 4 egg yolks
- 120g icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- MAKE APPLE PUDDING: Take off skin of the apples and cut them in 4 parts. Remove the cores and cut them in nice slices. Put lemon juice over them immediately, before they turn brown.
- Mix the sugar with the cinnamon powder and sprinkle it over the apple slices
- Toast the bread for a few minutes and afterwards process it in the mixer to form crumbs. Remove from the mixer and put in a bowl, then pour the cider/apple juice over the crumbs and stir to combine. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees C
- Lightly grease a bowl with the butter and make individual layers of the apples, raisins and almonds. Finish off with the soaked bread crumbs
- Dot the top with some butter and bake in the oven for 45 minutes
- VANILLA SAUCE: Put the milk in a pan, then cut the vanilla pod in half, scrape out the seeds and put the seeds and pod in the milk. Gently heat up the milk on low heat till warm
- While the milk is warming, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar till frothy.
- Then to temper the mixture, put a bit of the hot milk into the egg yolks, about 1/4 cup while whisking.
- Add the tempered egg mixture to milk in the sauce pan and whisk well to combine. Continue whisking till the mixture cooks and thickens.
- Serve with the pudding
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
You're the Best, Forget the Rest
The World's 50 Best Restaurants have nothin' on these recipes.
The best restaurant? Your kitchen.
Orecchiette with a bite.
Treats for your beach bag.
These are mmmpanadas.
You won't be board with this game.