If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This pudding was adapted from one I found in my Pennsylvania Dutch recipe collection. I'm always looking for recipes that can include Meyer lemons...I was hoping for time this week to make one for a photo, but family issues intervened. It is a pretty dessert, so I promise a shot in the future. - Lizthechef
Serves 4, generously
- 12 organic Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup water
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- juice and zest of one Meyer lemon
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 6 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Place apples in large Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot. Add the water and cook, covered, over medium heat until apples are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Using a food processor, puree the apples and transfer to a large, non-reactive bowl.
- Separate the eggs, reserving the whites. Beat the yolks gently by hand and add to the apples, along with the lemon juice, zest, sugar, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla and salt.
- Mix together well and pour into a buttered baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes while you prepare the meringue.
- Using a mixer, whip the egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Remove the pudding from the oven and, using an offset spatula, spread the meringue over the pudding to completely cover it.
- Return pudding to oven and bake until golden, 10-15 minutes. Turn off the oven and allow the pudding to "rest" inside the oven for 10 more minutes. Remove from oven, allow the pudding to cool until it is warm rather than hot. Serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding
Our latest fixations.
The recipes we've tested and loved.
It's Snack Time
Whiskey Peach Smash
What's in, what's out.
Wedding registry must haves.