Author Notes: My grandmother made this pudding for my Mom and my Mom made it for my brothers and I. It's a very versatile pudding. Slice ripe bananas into a graham cracker crust and pour cooled pudding over the top and you have the best banana cream pie! Add 3-6 Tablespoons of cocoa powder to the sugar and you have chocolate pudding for pudding in a cloud or chocolate pie! I use it to fill eclair shells and when my husband took these to class on Fridays he always got an A in the course. - michelle_kuhlman
Serves 4 or fills 1 pie
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Milk
- 3 Egg yolks, beaten
- 2-4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- In a heavy sauce pan mix sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk till combined.
- Whisk in milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring till mixture boils and begins to thicken. Cook 3 more minutes.
- Temper eggs with 1/2 cup mixture and slowly add eggs to the pudding. Stir for a 1-2 minutes. Add butter and vanilla.
- Serve warm or cold.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Pudding