Author Notes: This comes straight from Joy of Cooking, but I've posted these instructions so many times in answer to pickles that I wanted to just post the damn recipe so I don't have to write it out every time! I generally use nartjees, a South African mandarin, for this instead of oranges and I'm contemplating trying it with my Meyer lemons, once they ripen! - innoabrd
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 cups cold milk
- Combine the chopped zest and the sugar.
- Whisk the lemon and orange juice into the sugar until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- gradually stir in the milk. If the milk curdles slightly, it will not affect the texture after the sherbet is frozen.
- Freeze in the ice cream maker of your choice!