If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: The most wonderful late winter/early spring tart has to contain rhubarb - the earliest harboringer of spring. It looks like celery with lipstick, but tastes fruity and tart, and is especially wonderful when cooked with strawberries and cream.
A casual dusting of confectioner’s sugar gives this tart rustic appeal. Perfect for garden parties. People should have more garden parties, don’t you think? —Sasha (Global Table Adventure)
For the Dough
- 2 cups Flour
- 8 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 4-6 tablespoons water
For the Filling
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon caradamom
- 2 cups rhubarb in one inch pieces
- 2 cups quartered strawberries
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Meanwhile, pulse together the flour, butter, baking powder, and sugar in a food processor. Drizzle water into the mixture until it comes together and can be formed into a ball of dough.
- Next, press the dough into a 10? sprinform pan, coming up the sides just over an inch. I like the edge to be a little uneven – it looks rustic and charming once it is baked. Plus, it’s much easier. Refrigerate until needed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, cardamom, and cinnamon. In a measuring cup whisk the cream together with the egg yolks.
- Add chopped strawberries and rhubarb to a large bowl and toss with flour mixture until fully coated. It will look frostbitten.
- Add the strawberry/rhubarb mixture to the tart and pour the cream/egg yolk mixture over the top. Bake 30-35 minutes or until the cream is set and the fruit is cooked.
- Serving suggestions: This tart is as good room temperature as it is cold, although cold is probably more traditional. If you *do* eat it warm, you are probably required to eat it with vanilla ice cream. :)
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)
No Laffy Matter
How to make peanut butter salt water taffy
How to make salt water taffy.
Independence Day, the no-recipe way.
Free shipping! Use code FIREWORKS.
Just for the halibut.
Savor the season.