Author Notes: This decadent chocolate tart delivers. The filling is a sultry combination of cream and bittersweet chocolate. It sits in a chocolate and orange cookie crust and is topped with thinly sliced caramelized oranges. We think it makes a fantastic winter dessert. - Ginger's Kitchen - Ginger's Kitchen
Food52 Review: The creative cooks at Ginger's Kitchen have created a glorious, rich, chocolate custard tart crowned with luscious candied orange slices. This is a show-stopping chocolate dessert and it is well worth taking care with the details. JoanG, who helped out with the tart baking, suggests trying gingersnaps in the crumb crust. - AppleAnnie
- 1-2 oranges or a combination of citrus fruits, sliced very thin (we used 1 kumquat, 1/2 a blood orange, 1/2 a tangelo, and 1/2 navel orange)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cups water
- 4.5 oz (1/2 of a 9 oz box) chocolate wafers
- 2.75 oz (about 1/2 of a 5.25 oz box) Anna's orange cookies (thin orange wafers)
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 9 ounces bittersweet chocolate (not more than 65% cacao), chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- CARAMELIZE ORANGES - preheat oven to 350. Spread sliced oranges evenly onto a foil-lined baking sheet. In a measuring cup, add sugar to water and whisk to dissolve. Pour sugar water over sliced oranges. Place in oven and bake 30-40 minutes. Raise temperature to 400. Cook until caramelized, about 5-10 minutes -- monitoring closely, as they can quickly go from caramelized to burned. Reduce heat to 350.
- MAKE CRUST: Place cookies in a food processor and pulse until it becomes like a coarse meal. Melt the butter, and mix the cookies and butter together. Spray a regular pie pan with cooking spray and then press the cookie mixture into the pan - on the base and up the sides.
- MAKE THE FILLING: In a medium saucepan, bring cream to a boil and then immediately remove from heat. Add chocolate and let stand 5 minutes. In the meantime, whisk the eggs, vanilla, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk the chocolate until it is incorporated into the cream. Whisk the honey into the chocolate mixture. Temper the eggs in by gradually whisking in a couple tablespoons of the warm chocolate cream mixture before the eggs are added to the pan of warm chocolate cream.
- ASSEMBLE AND BAKE: Pour filling into crust. Arrange orange slices over the top. Bake until edges are firm but center is still wobbly, about 20-25 minutes. The tart will continue to cook as it cools.
- SERVE: Cool completely so that the tart can set, and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Citrus Recipe
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Late Winter Tart (Sweet or Savory)