If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
This is the kind of weeknight dinner that's elegant and simple, the flavors of the dish doing their job so well that your task becomes easy: a quick chop of some parsley, a quick sauté of spinach, a 12-minute stint in the oven, and voilà -- dinner is served. Try to get your hands on the freshest fish, which makes a huge difference in this 5-ingredient recipe -- and pick up a bottle of your favorite wine. This dinner deserves a toast.
Serves 2 to 4
1 1/2 to 2 pounds scrod fillets (or any in-season, firm-fleshed, non-oily white fish)
1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
1 red chile or jalepeño, diced
12 ounces of fresh spinach (two 6-ounce bags)
1 cup Greek yogurt
We're assuming you have 1 clove of garlic, flour, half a yellow onion, unsalted butter, olive oil, tomato paste, dry sherry, and salt and pepper. If not, be sure to add those to your shopping list, too.
1. Heat the oven to 400° F. Pull any pin bones out of the fish and sprinkle the fillets with salt and pepper.
2. Rub the bottom of a square casserole with a tablespoon of butter or olive oil. Arrange the fillets in an even layer on top. Dot the tops of the fillets with butter, or sprinkle them with olive oil. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons sherry and parsley. Bake for about 12 minutes per inch of thickness. Check for doneness by cutting into a fillet at the thickest part to see if it's opaque inside and pulls apart.
3. For the spinach, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pan. Add half of a diced yellow onion. Sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add diced chile or jalapeño, and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add 1 diced garlic clove, then 1/2 tablespoon of tomato paste. Cook for 1 minute. Add spinach in 3 batches, stirring until it all wilts.
5. While the spinach cooks, mix 1/2 teaspoon of flour with the Greek yogurt until smooth. When the spinach has wilted, mix the Greek yogurt into the spinach. Cook for 1 minute. Season to taste and serve.
6. If you have only 1 or 2 fillets of fish, cut them into a total of 4 servings and place on hot plates. Spoon the melted butter and juices in the bottom of the pan over the fillets. Serve immediately alongside the creamed spinach.