If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I remember eating spinach as a child, it was always creamy and delicious. It is a steakhouse favorite and ranks at the top of the comfort food list. Here is my take on creamed spinach without the fat laden cream. I sub greek yogurt (my new favorite ingredient) which results in the same delicious creaminess without all of the guilt! - Plum Pie
Food52 Review: This is a good recipe. The flavors of the onion, garlic, chili and tomato are subtle but definitely present and the Greek yogurt lends a lovely creaminess without being decadent. The recipe doesn't specify whether or not to seed the pepper: I did, but I would leave the seeds in if you're looking to really taste the spice. Sprinkling just a little bit of coarse sea salt, black pepper, and organic sugar over the finished dish made me love it just a little bit more, and maybe I can eat more spinach than most people, but I think this amount realistically only serves 1-2 people. - WinnieAb - The Editors
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red chile or jalepeno, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 12 ounces of fresh spinach (two 6-oz bag)
- 1/2 teaspoon flour
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, diced
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a heavy pan.
- Add half of a yellow onion that has been diced. Saute until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add diced chile/jalapeno and saute for 1 minute. Add diced garlic clove.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
- Add spinach in 3 batches. Cook spinach until it wilts and then add next batch until all 3 batches have wilted.
- While spinach cooks, mix 1/2 teaspoon flour with the greek yogurt until smooth. When spinach has wilted, mix greek yogurt into the spinach. Cook 1 minute. Season to taste and serve.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Vegetarian Holiday Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Spinach Recipe
Each Peach Pear Plum
Poetry for your market basket.
Poems for your fridge.
Wine to go, without the box.
Go play outside!
Make your houseplants do double duty.