If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Congratulations to EmilyC, whose Shrimp Burgers with Roasted Garlic-Orange Aioli won this week's contest for Your Best Use of Aioli, earning her a handsome Marble Mortar and Pestle from Williams-Sonoma, plus big prizes from Viking, OXO and Tiny Prints, and a spot in the next food52 cookbook!
Q&A with EmilyC
- Describe an early food experience that has influenced the way you think about food and/or cooking.
- I was raised on a farm in the Midwest by parents and grandparents who love to garden and cook, surrounded by proof of the connection between food and its source. In the garden, I would follow a few steps behind my grandpa to drop seeds into his freshly dug trenches. He would plant enough tomatoes and sweet corn to feed the entire community. My mom and I foraged the roadsides for asparagus in the spring. We donned long-sleeved shirts and jeans in the sticky June heat to pick wild black raspberries for pie or jam.
- What's your least favorite food?
- I’ve never understood a well-done steak.
- What is the best thing you've made so far this year?
- A strawberry-rhubarb crumble pie I made about a month ago.
- Describe your most spectacular kitchen disaster.
- The first time my husband and I hosted my family for Thanksgiving dinner in our new home, I shoved the peels from five pounds of potatoes down the garbage disposal without even thinking. Within minutes, we had a broken garbage disposal and a clogged sink sitting half-full of water. Dirty dishes piled up everywhere until we got it fixed the next day.
- What is your idea of comfort food?
- I love beef bourguignon, in particular Julia Child’s version from Mastering the Art of French Cooking, with mashed potatoes or buttered egg noodles.
- Apron or no apron?
- No apron.
- What's your favorite food-related scene in a movie?
- I smile when the curmudgeonly food critic in Disney’s Ratatouille tastes Remy’s ratatouille for the first time. It’s such a sweet scene.
- If you could make a show-stopping dinner for one person, living or dead, who would it be?
- I wish I could pull out all of the stops and make my late mother-in-law, who passed away this February, an amazing meal. Her genuine love for food and good company made cooking for her a joy, and some of my most memorable meals were shared with her and my husband around our dining room table.
- You prefer to cook: a. alone, b. with others, c. it depends on your mood
- My kitchen is small, so most often I prefer to cook alone. I do like the company of my husband and 18-month old sous chef who likes to busy himself with a whisk and empty mixing bowl.
- When it comes to tidying up, you usually: a. clean as you cook, b. do all the dishes once you've finished cooking, c. leave the kitchen a shambles for your spouse/roommate/kids to clean.
- Either A or B. I’ve definitely been known to leave a disaster in my culinary wake.
Our Recent Favorite Recipes
Spaghetti! Pork chops! Croissants!
Our recent favorite recipes.
What to eat and listen to tonight.
We've got the summer blues.
A vegan cookbook for everyone—really.
Have a ball (jar).