If you are both the cook and the griller in your family, you can find yourself in some hairy situations as you dash between the grill and stove trying not to burn anything. To address this issue, I decided to come up with a dinner that could be cooked entirely on the grill. These lamb skewers can brown right alongside disks of eggplant and slices of country bread. All you have to do is manage the heat on the grill -- put the lamb in the hottest spot, the eggplant in the next hottest area, and the bread off to the side -- and assemble it all on a plate with a sprinkling of mint, feta, and lemon.
- 1 1/4 pounds lamb shoulder (or other grilling cut), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper flakes
- 2 medium eggplant
- About 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 thick slices country bread
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup crumbled French feta
- 4 lemon wedges
Like this post? See Amanda's post from last week: Simple Fish and Corn
Photos by William Brinson
Sign up now and get $10 when we open.