If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
As a defiant response to Sad Desk Lunches, the Food52 team works to keep our midday meals both interesting and pretty. Each week, in partnership with Earthbound Farm, we'll be sharing our happiest desk lunches -- and we want to see yours, too.
Today: We bring you an end to sad lunches.
This past Wednesday, triumphant lunch-packers everywhere gathered for a Twitter chat co-hosted by us and Earthbound Farm. Those who have mastered the art of BYO lunch-lore supplied tips and strategies for midday bliss. The creator of Sad Desk Lunch herself, Kira Fisher (@Kiixfish), even chimed in with tips as to how she prevents blue lunches. And thanks to everyone who participated, the #NotSadDeskLunch hashtag even became a trending topic on Twitter!
Here are some of the most helpful tips and most enviable lunches we heard about during our chat:
Avoid sogginess at all costs.
- @EatingMadeEasy: "Put greens on either side of sandwich fillings next to bread, & leave tomatoes separate!"
- @kiiixfish: "Keep [salad] dressing in leftover small jam jars and toss when you're ready to eat!"
Keep it simple.
Practice safe transportation.
- @tamurrow: "Transporting [lunch] in the proper vessel!"
Keep your desk stocked like a pantry.
- @tkretchmar goes the gourmet route with Fini balsamic, sansho, togorashi, sriracha, Ortiz anchovies, and pine nuts. Fini is critical for skyr yogur in the mornings.
- Also: Everyone loves almonds!
Save your salad from a bad dye job.
- @kiiixfish onced mixed roasted beets with greens and it dyed her entire salad a horrible purple color.
- To prevent this, @earthboundfarm keeps them wrapped in some tinfoil atop their salads until lunchtime.
Use the large batch method (side note: this is the lunch of our dreams).
- @taliabethralph: "Veggie chili with Cabot sharp cheddar and crumbled avocado cornbread. [I've] eaten it every day this week. Done."
Tell us: How do you keep your lunches happy?
We're partnering with Earthbound Farm to bring you always fresh, never sad lunch ideas. Because dinner shouldn't be the only time that you put care into what you're eating.
You Can Have It All
Well, at least your zucchini bread—er, cake—can
Zucchini cake is everything you want.
The dreamiest foods around.
We've got the (summer) blues.
Burnt Toast: Episode 13
Have a ball (jar).