🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Pear and Cranberry Cake

Eca53719 9cf2 4d36 8bb2 a85372853dfe  dsc 1715

I made this cake yesterday--turned out delicious and it got rave reviews from guests--but omitted the wheat germ because I didn't have any. Seemed to turn out fine. What does the wheat germ actually do?

asked by sbzemel over 4 years ago
8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Hi sbzemal - one recommendation would be to make it again and use the wheat germ and do a flavor test and from there decide which you like better. And also google wheat germ for health benefits to see if that is value added for you.

And if your guests loved your cake, don't mess with it!

16f72ccb 3197 434b a946 8e9e68a3715f  cristina 014 web final

Hi sbzemel!

I asked my Aunt your question, and this is what she says: "I worked this recipe 32 times before I was satisfied. In the past, I had been accused of making items that were too sweet. At about version 24, I began adding the wheat germ to give a slightly nutty flavor and help cut some of the sweetness. As you know, cranberries are very tart so you need to add sugar to help offset the tartness. I have also made it without the wheat germ and yes, it tastes great. But with the wheat germ it tastes better!"

I hope this is helpful!
Cristina