🔔
🔎

Am creating a "Moroccan" gift pkg that includes P. Wolfert's "Food of Morocco" and preserved lemons. What spices (or oils?) shd I include?

asked about 3 years ago

p.s. Just realized I could simplify this by providing a gift certificate to Kalustyan's for the spices!

Lorigoldsby

If you want to include the spices--i'm sure they would appreciate the saffron and sumac (a necessary ingredient for a za'atar spice blend)

Thank you all so much! The book hasn't arrived yet so it's very helpful to have these answers here. Much appreciated!

A Mortar and pestle. Along with some whole seed spices, like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, allspice..etc.

Alternatively, a coffee grinder---just for using with whole seed spices.

Speak of the devil - NY Times recently had a recipe for Hrrissa. http://www.nytimes.com...

110

Be aware that Kalustyan's will kill you with shipping costs on a small order.

Alex_and_i_at_the_zoo

If you want to find a nice collection of spices, World Market often has really pretty hand carved boxes that have containers of spices native to the region and a little recipie booklet, especially around the holidays. But I agree with putting saffron in the basket, I love using it but always try to work around it because I donlt want to have to buy it.

organic coconut oil would be great. mortar and pestle is good too as suggested by sam1148, but the shipping would probably be expensive unless you use free shipping with amazon.com or something like that. they have great prices on the coconut oil too.