🔎

Am creating a "Moroccan" gift pkg that includes P. Wolfert's "Food of Morocco" and preserved lemons. What spices (or oils?) shd I include?

Pegeen added over 2 years ago

p.s. Just realized I could simplify this by providing a gift certificate to Kalustyan's for the spices!

Sausage2

Emily is a trusted source on Scandinavian Cuisine.

Voted the Best Answer!

Harissa is a must, I would say! And za'atar spice blend would be good and/or ras el hanout. And maybe a bottle of orange blossom water? Or pomegranate moasses? This sounds like an awesome gift!

Chris_in_oslo

Perfect answer from fiveandspice. I love that book--ran right out to get it the minute it reached the shelves. Youc could also consider the ten most frequently used spices that she mentions on pages 29 and 30--cinnamon, cumin seed, saffron, turmeric, ginger, black and white pepper, hot red pepper and cayenne, sweet paprika, aniseed, and sesame seeds. For a future gift, does your friend have a nice tagine or other clay cooking pots?

Lorigoldsby
lorigoldsby added over 2 years ago

If you want to include the spices--i'm sure they would appreciate the saffron and sumac (a necessary ingredient for a za'atar spice blend)

Pegeen added over 2 years ago

Thank you all so much! The book hasn't arrived yet so it's very helpful to have these answers here. Much appreciated!

Sam1148 added over 2 years ago

A Mortar and pestle. Along with some whole seed spices, like cumin seeds, coriander seeds, allspice..etc.

Alternatively, a coffee grinder---just for using with whole seed spices.

Pegeen added over 2 years ago

Speak of the devil - NY Times recently had a recipe for Hrrissa. http://www.nytimes.com...

110
bugbitten added over 2 years ago

Be aware that Kalustyan's will kill you with shipping costs on a small order.

Alex_and_i_at_the_zoo
Kittythecollegecook added over 2 years ago

If you want to find a nice collection of spices, World Market often has really pretty hand carved boxes that have containers of spices native to the region and a little recipie booklet, especially around the holidays. But I agree with putting saffron in the basket, I love using it but always try to work around it because I donlt want to have to buy it.

Chefbaltz added over 2 years ago

organic coconut oil would be great. mortar and pestle is good too as suggested by sam1148, but the shipping would probably be expensive unless you use free shipping with amazon.com or something like that. they have great prices on the coconut oil too.