I am about to make a quiche but I only have cheddar cheese, processed Swiss cheese and Parmesan. Recipes I have call for Swiss or Gruyere. Can I grate and use the processed Swiss cheese in place of 1 cup regular Swiss cheese?

Thanks

asked almost 4 years ago

I though processed Swiss only came in slices. But sure you can use it. It don't be as nice as regular but will do in a pinch. I'd ad some Parm to improve the flavor as well.

036

I would add the cheddar too for melting-ness ... more cheese is always better!!!

Image

What else is in the quiche? I would avoid the processed cheese--it probably won't melt well or blend with the other ingredients. Cheddar is great with broccoli and mushrooms, and I'm of the opinion that parmesan makes most things better.

1390710_10151917400148928_1193325941_n_1_

I'm sure you could use the processed cheese just fine, although it may just taste not as good as the real stuff. I have found processed cheese to be a real winner with many cheese heavy recipes, especially mac and cheese. I have found it to be a great binder for other cheeses, as long as you do not use all processed cheese, I found it not to make a huge difference.

Thanks very much for your answers. And yes, the process Swiss is in slices.

5.15.11_coconut_macaroons_best_sm

I agree with drbabs--the processed cheese probably isn't going to blend with the other ingredients very well. I'd just use the cheddar and Parmesan together. One of my best quiche recipes uses about 1/2 cup cheddar and 1/4 cup Parmesan to go with onion, garlic, spinach, green onions, and white beans.

I guess I'm more of a cheese guy than a wine guy so the prospect of using processed cheese period, scares the hell out of me. Show me a green box of "parmesan" and I'll run like a dog from flea spray. I am the stinky cheese man, bring it on.

Kay_at_lake

I've made many a quiche with cheddar and parmigiano. Not sure about processed Swiss slices -- regular Swiss works fine. I think whatever cheese you want to try should work just fine; I wouldn't go exclusively with the processed Swiss, but I think it'd be fine in combo with the other kinds.